World On Fire
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to a World On Fire.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

A few questions

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Drachnon

A few questions Empty
PostSubject: A few questions   A few questions EmptyMon May 03, 2010 10:16 am

Hi, I had some questions on character creation. I have a few characters in mind that I want to play but I'm not sure if they're allowed, I also had some questions on abilities.

First the characters, one is pretty much a mage and I don't see if magic is allowed. The other is the product of transferring conciousness from flesh to machine, effectively creating an android. Though Cyborgs are allowed androids are technically different so I'd like to be sure.

And on abilities I'd like to know how specific I have to be with abilities and what counts as abilities. For example I could say my mage character has magic and count it as one ability even though the magic can be used for a great variety of purposes which might be unbalanced since my character could then heal itself (which is just as effective as an regeneration power), shoot fireballs (attack power), fly and teleport (mobility powers), create force fields (protective power) and several other with just one ability while others need more then one.
However if I specify each it would mean that the power to turn salt water into fresh water, create a floating ball of light to read in the dark and close a door from a distance would take up 1 of the maximum of 5 slots which makes things really weird.
These are all kind of extreme examples for both sides of the argument but it's more the idea that counts then these specific examples.

Next how specified do powers need to be? Do I need to add details like range, speed, area of effect, maximum angle at which it can be used to an fireball like attack? I already noticed that all powers need to have a weakness or disadvantage but let's say regeneration would seem to me like a power with little disadvantages.

And lastly I would like to know when something qualifies as a power. I noticed there is a section for powers and one for equipment which suggests that these are different things. However if I play an android most of what it does would be done through 'equipment' even though it could very well be a power.
With this in mind I'd also like to know if logical conclusions from one race count as a power. A mechanical being would logically not be affected by poison or lack of oxygen which could be powers.
Next do skills or intelligence count as a power? Being smart is pretty common amongst super heroes and villains but does it qualify as a power, and if it is at what IQ would it start counting? Skills are pretty much the same, does excelling at using guns count as a power or is it granted that super heroes are just good at these things?

After I get reply I'll see what I'll be playing (preferably the android character since I'm already playing a mage on another forum).
Back to top Go down
Jackel

Jackel

A few questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few questions   A few questions EmptyMon May 03, 2010 2:10 pm

Well currently our admins are away (Unknown return date.) but I'll do my best to answer.

Mage like characters are not allowed. My remedy for this would be pick your favorite spell from that character and use that as your power. for a mage like character i would recommend "Matter Manipulation" which is basically "The Pheonix's" physical power from the X-Men Movie save or the fact that it can be broken down and then restructured to meet the users needs. (Please do not over power this character if you do use this)

Andriod i see no problem with as long as the back story is thoroughly explained and actually makes sense. (As if explaining to children).

Abilities are different from powers in the fact that an ability is the manipulation of a power or something that comes in useful to the character. Example: Telekinesis will be the power for this. Multiple TK pick up, allows character to lift and/or throw multiple object rather then one at a time. Where telekinesis is the power, Multiple TK is the ability that modifies how the power is used.

How detailed must power explanations be? As detailed as possible. leave no room for question.

And your last question would be something along the lines of ...
Equipment is the physical needs off the person, be it a certain type of ammunition, or possible a suit of armor. For the android character i'd say equipment and power would technically be the same thing unless it's a DBZ style android that can actually use Ki Blasts. In which case the equipment would be the kind of core powering it and how it recharges said core.*

I hope that answers what you wanted to know.*
Back to top Go down
Desoto

Desoto

A few questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few questions   A few questions EmptyMon May 03, 2010 2:41 pm

Whoa; Jackel beat me to teh post! And, very thorough might I add. I see nothing else I could add or elaborate on. Soooooo.... Awesome job Jackel!! Extra bonus points!
Back to top Go down
Jackel

Jackel

A few questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few questions   A few questions EmptyMon May 03, 2010 3:48 pm

ye haw
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

A few questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few questions   A few questions Empty

Back to top Go down

A few questions
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
World On Fire :: Welcome to World on Fire :: Help and Advice-
Jump to: